The Bachelor of Technology program in Public Works Engineering and SURVEYS aims at providing a strong foundation in theoretical, practical and design aspects of the Specialty. The curriculum covers areas of Public Works Engineering and SURVEYS under the broad categories of Civil Engineering Technology.
On completion of this program, the student should be able to;
- Function as a foreman of a construction project
- Produce and interpret good civil engineering drawings.
- Supervise concreting processes and carry out test on construction materials.
- Management of site works.
- Interpret and carry out survey, measurements.
- Preparation of bills of quantities, specification and tender documents
- Carry out maintenance of existing constructions, repairs rehabilitation, improvement and alteration of existing constructions, Selection of materials and techniques of new constructions.
- Selection of materials and technology for new constructions
- Safety welfare and quality assurance in construction and maintenance works.
- Master transportation, highway, and hydraulics engineering.
In addition to the above, the Public Works Engineer should be able to,
- Design structural elements and prepare detailed drawings of such elements with minimum supervision
- Carry out supervision works, and prepare progress reports structural works.
- Maintain comprehensive records of work in progress for the consumption of the contractors, the client or structural organization.
- Carry out accurate interpretation of technical data related to engineering structures during contract negotiations.
- Design simple water and waste water, solid waste schemes and distribution networks
PROFILE OF STUDENTS
Candidates aspiring to under-take training for the award of the Bachelor of Technology in Building & Structural Engineering should be holders of the Higher National Diploma (HND) higher technical diploma (HTD) BTS in Civil Engineering Design or any other recognized equivalent certificate like DIPET I.
Fees per academic year three hundred and fifty thousand francs (350 000Fcfa)
Upon completion of the training, graduates can aspire for the following responsibilities and job opportunities in both the Private Sector businesses and Profit making organizations:
- Building Construction Engineer;
- Road Construction Engineer;
- Consultant; Designer of any other construction Projects; Surveyor, etc
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
The language of instruction is English.