Program: Executive Masters in Development Finance
Award Title: Executive Masters in Development Finance
Period of Study: 4 Semesters
Offering School: UB Business School
Host Faculty/ School: Higher Technical Teacher Training College
Credit units required for graduation: 120
Program Coordinator: Prof. Tabi Atemnkeng
Program Director: Prof. AKUME Daniel AKUME
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF THE PROGRAM
Most universities around the world offer degree programs in key business disciplines including accounting, marketing, human resource management, banking and finance, management and economics. Unlike those disciplines, the Master Program in Development Finance is still in its infancy. This is worrying mindful that development finance is pivotal in supporting infrastructures in financial management applications within private sector institutions, governments, Non-Governmental Institutions (NGO’s) and wider emerging markets. The Masters in Development Finance is a specialist interdisciplinary degree based in HTTC Kumba, University of Buea.
As a discipline, development finance is practiced is in many development finance institutions, the world bank, IMF, UN organs, regional and other country specific development finance institutions and agencies, public and private section institutions, other financial and NGO’s and international Foundations.
All the world governments use development as a discipline, for design and implementation of development policies. Despite the importance of the discipline, the program is not taught in most universities. The teaching of the program at HTTC KUMBA, will train sufficient development finance experts that will meet the development needs of Cameroon in particular and Africa in general.
At the end of the program, students should be able to provide development driven solutions to Cameroon’s 2035 economic development program.
- The aim of HTTC Kumba’s Masters in Development Finance is to offer an internationally recognised qualification with content that is relevant in terms of Cameroon’s development needs.
- This critical-skills degree is designed as a coherent programme of study at postgraduate level to train graduates to acquire the following skills, knowledge and capabilities:
- Fill the skills gaps in the financial industry and in policy-making and regulatory institutions in the development finance environment
- Better understand the complexities to manage the different development finance resources available to poor countries, especially in Cameroon.
- Understand thoroughly the special problems of finance in developing countries and Africa in particular, and to acquire the skills to operate successfully and to make a meaningful contribution to policy formulation and implementation in this field
- An ability to critically analyse the techniques and procedures for financial sector development, management and accounting
- An ability to apply these techniques and procedures in a ly competent manner
- The ability to undertake independent research, and to present research findings in a form that can be disseminated effectively to users
- Use specialised knowledge to develop Cameroon and Africa where it matters
- Contribute towards sustainable development
- Shape finance policies and programmes
Understand the key role of Development Finance Institutions and financial institutions
To train development finances that will meet the development needs of Cameroon and Africa in particular
The Masters in Development Finance is extremely competitive and rigorous in admissions. The majority of candidates will be considered holistically as a competitive field. Those who should apply must be:
1) Fresh undergraduates with no work experience but with an outstanding first degree (at least second class honours) in business, finance, economics, accounting and commerce.
2) Fresh undergraduates with no work experience but with an outstanding first degree (at least second class honours) in non-business related discipline (e.g. engineering, IT, science and social sciences) with at least 2 years working experience
2) Development Finances
3) Civil Servants
4) Staff of Development Finance Institutions
5) Staff of other Financial Institutions
7) Staff of NGO’s
8) Staff in the private sector
9) Those involved in policy formulation and implementation
Fees per academic year six hundred thousand francs (600 000Fcfa)
- 2 years for Bachelor Degree Students
- 1 year for DIPET II students
The Masters in Development Finance program provides training which equips graduates for success careers in the public sector, bank and non-bank financial institutions, international finance institutions, including development finance institutions, aids agencies, development foundations and NGO’s
Course Requirements: 120 Credits
Course work: 90 credits
Seminar: 04 credits
Internship: 6 credits
Dissertation: 20 credits